Updated: Sep 18, 2020
How I overcome the spirit of fear.
Hello beautiful souls! I want to share with you something that I read earlier this week that really spoke to me and made me think of what is happening in the world today. And then I want to offer you some encouragement.
It is found in Hebrews 12, The Passion Translation
v25 “Make very sure that you never refuse to listen to God when he speaks! For the God who spoke on earth from Mount Sinai is the same God who now speaks from heaven. Those who heard him speak his Living Word on earth found nowhere to hide, so what chance is there for us to escape if we turn our back on God and refuse to hear his warnings as he speaks from heaven?
v26. The earth was rocked at the sound of his voice from the mountain, but now he has promised “once and for all I will not only shake the systems of the world, but also the unseen powers in the heavenly realms!”
Let me just pause right here. Doesn’t it feel like God is really speaking right now? Doesn’t it feel like the “systems of the world” of the world are being shaken right now?
· Shelter in place mandates
· Mask mandates
· People are being furloughed, hours are being cut, businesses are shutting down
· Shortages at the grocery stores
Am I saying that God is the one who sent us COVID-19? CERTAINLY NOT! Our Father in Heaven loves his children. Can He be found in the midst of this pandemic? YES! Is He working in the background? YES!
Let me go back to that last sentence:
“Once and for all I will not only shake the systems of the world, but also the unseen powers in the heavenly realm!”
v27. Now this phrase “once and for all” clearly indicates the final removal of things that are shaking, that is, the old order, so only what is unshakeable will remain.
v28 Since we are receiving our rights to an unshakeable kingdom, we should be extremely thankful and offer God the purest worship that delights his heart as we lay down our lives in ABSOLUTE SURRENDER, FILLED WITH AWE.
When I first read this, I ALMOST wanted to be afraid! VERSE 27 “only what is unshakeable will remain”….but then I thought WAIT A MINUTE! VERSE 28! I HAVE received my right to an unshakeable kingdom!
My friend, I just want to say to you: TAKE HEART! Because we are members of that UNSHAKEABLE KINGDOM! We serve a mighty God that created this world, this universe, with just His spoken word. How much more will He take care of His children. He will never leave us nor forsake us!
I believe that there are a lot of people who are truly shaken by what’s happening in the world right now.
The word FEAR comes to my mind. BUT 2Timothy 1:7 tells us that God DID NOT give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and a sound mind.
I know what fear feels like. I know how easy it is to get overwhelmed and afraid. I experienced it, first hand, a few months ago when I went grocery shopping and some of the shelves were bare. I and my fellow shoppers were eerily quiet as we walked up and down the aisles. No bread, no meat, no toilet tissue. And the list went on.
Panic, despair and fear were trying to set in. It felt like a physical “thing” trying to jump on me and sink its fangs into me. By the time I finished with my shopping, paid and got out of there, I was exhausted!
I spent the whole drive home talking to the Lord and renewing my mind with His Holy Word.
I’d like to share with you, what I do to overcome any fear that tries to attach itself to me:
1) 2Corinthians 10:5. Capture your thoughts and make them obedient to Christ. WE CAN MAKE OUR THOUGHTS OBEDIENT TO CHRIST!!!
2) And then I apply 1Peter 5:7 to my problem. “Pour out all your worries and stress upon Him and leave them there, for He always tenderly cares for you.”
3) I renew my mind DAILY. Romans 12:2, the NIV version says it like this “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” For me, renewing my mind happens when I read the Word, listen to Christian music, read devotionals, when I talk to the Lord; when I spend quiet time in my secret place and when fellowship with other believers.
I carefully guard my heart by being very selective about the types of books I read and the television shows I watch. And of course, the news…ugh! Right? It’s so depressing and brings me down. Sometimes, it is best to just turn the news off. If the things you are watching disturb you, then just change the channel. Yes, it is important to know what is going on in the world, but sometimes it just gets to be too much for your spirit to be able to rest in the Lord and have peace.
4) SPEAK.THE.WORD! Proverbs 18:21 “Your words are so powerful that they will kill or give life, and the talkative person will reap the consequences.” How much MORE powerful will your words be if you speak, out loud, the WORD OF GOD! Make it personal to your need. My friend, God has given us so many promises that we can stand on and believe in!
1 John 4:4 says “You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.
WOOHOOOOO! PRAISE GOD!!
And WE CAN overcome the spirit of fear. It’s a battle and my sword is the Holy Bible and THIS IS HOW I FIGHT MY BATTLES!
THIS IS HOW I FIGHT MY BATTLES! THIS IS HOW I FIGHT MY BATTLES!
IT MAY LOOK LIKE I’M SURROUNDED, BUT I’M SURROUNDED BY YOU!
THIS IS HOW I FIGHT MY BATTLES!! *
*lyrics from Michael W. Smith’s song “Surrounded (Fight My Battles)